Raise your hand if you love Mexican food. Now, raise your hand if you love a healthy, refreshing salad. If you raised your hand twice, then this Beef Taco Salad from our friend Eaman Almalky is for you! Nothing beats a healthy taco salad recipe with crisp veggies and crunchy tortilla strips to make it fresh and fun to eat.
They say “you eat with your eyes” and this saying couldn’t be more accurate when you’re talking about this Beef Taco Salad recipe. The burst of colors from our Sangria® Medley Tomatoes in combination with the crunchiness from the tortilla strips and the textures from the rest of the salad ingredients is what makes this salad an out-of-this-world dinner idea.
Taco Salad Ingredients
To make a great taco salad, you need a mix of textures and tastes: something creamy, something zesty, something crunchy, something tangy and something crisp. Here are the ingredients that Eaman uses in her recipe and how they make this salad healthy, fresh and filling:
- Sangria® Medley Tomatoes, for their gorgeous color and juicy contrast to the crunchy veggies and tortilla strips. Each color has a different flavor profile that makes every bite different and exciting.
- Romaine lettuce – because it wouldn’t be a taco salad without a base of refreshingly crisp greens!
- Black beans, for their savory flavor, hearty texture and extra punch of protein.
- Corn, for little pops of color and sweetness.
- Red cabbage, for extra crunch and color.
- Avocado, for that creamy texture and healthy essential fat.
- Taco beef, for that zesty flavor and source of protein.
- Tortilla strips, for that irresistible crunch and toasted corn flavor.
- Cheddar cheese, for that sharp, tangy flavor profile that ties everything together.
Healthy Taco Salad Tips
- Make your own tortilla strips! You can do this by taking corn tortillas, cutting them into strips and toasting them in the oven. This way you can control how much oil and salt are used on them, plus you can make them as crunchy (or not) as you want.
- Turn up the heat! Studies show that capsaicin, the compound in hot peppers that makes them spicy, can improve heart health, lower blood pressure, prevent certain cancers and make you feel less hungry. Feel free to add hot sauce or your favorite hot peppers to spice up your salad.
- Think ahead. If you prepare all the ingredients ahead of time and store them separately so that when it comes to taco salad night, everything will be all ready to go! This recipe is also a great make-ahead lunch that you can assemble as needed during the week.
We understand that not everyone around the table will like all the same things. There are many different ways to customize this salad to everyone’s preference. Or if you’re using this recipe for meal prep, customization can create a brand-new salad every time to you eat it. Here are some suggestions for making this salad your own:
Veggie Swap! We have so many great options for adding or swapping veggies, from our Aurora Bites Mini Sweet Peppers to our Uno Bites™ Nano Cucumbers, we have something for every taste preference in our snacking line up that would be excellent additions or swaps for this salad.
Change up the creamy component. You can swap out the avocado for its cousin guacamole for an extra creamy addition. Try adding Greek yogurt, or a cilantro lime crema for different flavors and textures.
Say cheese! Try swapping the cheddar for crumbled Cotija, or a spicy Monterrey Jack.
Don’t be chicken… to change the meat that is! Instead of beef try ground chicken, turkey or chorizo. Don’t eat meat? No problem! A meat substitute of any kind will work, as will tofu – or feel free to omit meat altogether.
As you can see, there are so many customization possibilities, all you need to do is get a little creative.
You will be surprised at how easy this salad is to make. Simple, yet delicious. What makes this the best taco salad recipe is simple ingredients and minimal prep. It’s perfect for busy families and people on-the-go.
For Eaman’s full Beef Taco Salad recipe, click here.
For more healthy snacking advice and tasty recipes, make sure to sign up for Pure Flavor’s® monthly newsletter.