The Greenhouse Labour Supervisor assists the Labour Manager in monitoring and maintaining the efficient flow of the overall greenhouse operation with safety, efficiency, and customer service as the highest priorities. This position supervises, trains and co-ordinates all activities of labour force in the greenhouse.
- Responsible for the labour force results by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; initiating, coordinating, and enforcing systems, policies, and procedures to meet productivity goals and quality standards.
- Support growing and packhouse operations; maintain workflow by monitoring steps of the process; setting processing variables; observing control points and equipment.
- Monitor employee and other resources; review methods; implement cost reductions; develop reporting procedures and systems; implement corrective actions.
- Ensure that all employees adhere to statutory hygiene protocols, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), Health and Safety Guidelines, Food Safety Guidelines, company policies and procedures; coordinate with Human Resources to effectively coach workers and/or deliver corrective counselling where appropriate.
- Resolve employee complaints and concerns by analyzing information, investigating issues, identifying solutions, recommending action; coordinate with Human Resources to effectively coach workers and/or deliver corrective counselling where appropriate.
- Initiate and foster a spirit of collaboration and teamwork within and between departments.
- Review equipment maintenance schedules; arrange repairs as needed; evaluate new equipment and techniques.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; and recommend and implement best practices.
- Other core expectations as defined by the company.
Required Skills / Experience / Education:
- High school diploma or equivalent, required; post-secondary diploma or bachelor’s degree in Horticulture, Agriculture or related field, preferred.
- Minimum one (1) year supervisory experience, required.
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience in a commercial greenhouse environment, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Bilingual English and Spanish, required.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills; numeracy skills, required.
- Proven ability to detect plant diseases and the existence of insects.
- Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices, Health and Safety, Food Safety, HACCP and the PrimusGFS program.
- Computer Skills required; Microsoft (MS) Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of PRIVA greenhouse climate control system, preferred.
- This job operates in a hot, high humidity environment where temperatures average 90 degrees Fahrenheit, but may increase to approximately 100 degrees Fahrenheit in the summertime. The noise level in the work environment can be loud due to packaging machinery and forklift truck operation.
- Role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Specific vision capabilities required; employee is to occasionally work in front of a computer, sitting for prolong periods.
- The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; bend; twist; use hands to handle or feel product or packaging; and reach with hands and arms. The position involves walking and lifting, regularly, up to 30-pounds, occasionally up to 50-pounds.
Pure Hothouse Foods is committed to providing an accessible and barrier-free environment. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Please contact the Human Resources department if an accommodation is required.
Posted on: September 23, 2021