Tomato Tarts are a great example of a recipe that only works well when you’re using the right ingredients. The recipes themselves are incredibly simple and easy to make – but there is a delicate balance of sweet & savory flavors that requires careful attention to detail.
If you’ve never really thought about making a Tomato Tart before, or were worried that it might be too challenging to strike that perfect balance of flavor, have no fear – Cloud 9® Bite-Sized Fruity Tomatoes are here.
These new snacking tomatoes have a unique, fruity sweetness that make them a refreshing on-the-go snack and an ideal gourmet ingredient to add to your favorite recipes. That fruity sweetness also makes them the perfect base for nearly every Tomato Tart recipe!
As any good Chef will share: no two recipes are alike and when you have a dish as unique as tomato tarts, unique flavors are the name of the game. Take these two recipes from Elizabeth Jordan-Flight and Heather Englund. Each dish features Cloud 9® Tomatoes that create different effects, combining natural sweetness and fresh tomato flavor with savory ingredients like fennel and balsamic vinegar or goat cheese and chili paste.
Elizabeth Jordan-Flight’s Tomato Tarte Tatin highlights the incredible sweetness of this unique tomato variety by combining it with the buttery caramel flavor of a more traditional tarte Tatin.
Baked with puff pastry, this recipe for Tarte Tatin dates to 19th century France. In a classic Tarte Tatin, you let the fruit filling caramelize in a pan of butter. In this recipe, the instructions are no different: tomatoes are technically fruit after all!
With Cloud 9® Bite-Sized Fruity Tomatoes, this recipe nods to the delicious history of this classic French pastry but takes it in a decidedly savorier direction thanks to a combination of caramelized onion, fennel, balsamic vinegar and thyme.
In only a few steps, you can make this Tomato Tarte Tatin recipe yourself:
- Start by cooking fennel and onion in a skillet over medium heat for ten minutes before adding salt & sugar
- After five more minutes, add a couple tablespoons of water to help scrape off the dark caramelized bits of onion off the pan
- Combine butter and balsamic vinegar in an oven safe skillet over medium heat
- Once the butter has melted, add sugar and stir to a simmer; Continue stirring to prevent burning
- Cook for an additional five minutes with two sprigs of thyme under a sweet, aromatic caramel has formed
- Remove from heat
- Arrange tomatoes so they completely cover the pan and season with salt, pepper and thyme before spreading the fennel and onion mixture over top. Then, lay a sheet of puff pastry over the filling and tuck in the edges.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the pastry is a beautiful golden brown. When you’re ready to serve, simply flip the tart onto your serving plate and top with fresh thyme.
For directions on how to make Elizabeth Jordan-Flight’s Tomato Tarte Tatin, click here.
Heather Englund has a totally different tart recipe that highlights how versatile Cloud 9® Tomatoes are and how they can be used to experiment is so many ways!
This Tomato Chili Jam Tart takes advantage of the signature Cloud 9® sweetness too, using it to cut through the roasted chili paste and lift up the light, creamy flavor of goat cheese. It’s a gorgeous dish to include in a large brunch or to enjoy on a warm summer afternoon on the patio.
Start by making the crust:
- Combine oat flour, almond flour, eggs, butter and sea salt in a food processor
- Pulse until smooth
- Roll into a ball and then press into a 9-inch tart pan
- Bake the crust for approx. 20 minutes until the top edges are golden
- Remove from the oven and place goat cheese into the tart while it cools off so the cheese can soften
Meanwhile, heat a skillet with olive oil and sauté shallots until softened. Add in your Cloud 9® Tomatoes with coconut sugar, white vinegar, and roasted chili paste and simmer for five minutes blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
Finally, spread the softened goat cheese across the base of the tart followed by the tomato jam. Sprinkle with crumbled goat cheese and then chill the Tomato Chili Jam Tart in the fridge for an hour.
For directions on how to make Heather Englund’s Tomato Chili Jam, click here.
Whichever Tomato Tart strikes your fancy, it’s sure to satisfy every craving. You’ll be amazed at how Cloud 9® Tomatoes dance between sweet & savory in these two delicious dishes!
Want to get new recipes delivered right to your inbox? Sign up today for our newsletters.
Sign Me Up!