The backyard parties and summer barbecues of Summer 2021 will surely be for the record books. As we all emerge from our bubbles and reunite with family and friends, we’re getting ready to entertain guests with some of our favorite summer appetizers for Summer 2021 – including a delicious Crab Stuffed Mushrooms recipe from Joy Monnerjahn.
Fresh food plays a central role in our social lives. We celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, graduations and so many more important milestones around the dinner table with those we love. It’s how we share time, stories and laughs with those that matter the most to us. Food connects us.
For so long, we’ve been disconnected, but now it’s time to get together and celebrate. And, of course, food is going to be at the core of the celebrations to come.
When guests come knocking, you want to be ready with fresh and tasty recipes that show off how much you’ve grown as a chef while stuck at home for the past year – although, of course, we all became a bit more skilled at staying in our pajamas watching Netflix too (shhh!).
In the spirit of celebrations to come, we’re sharing some of our absolute favorite appetizer recipes for Summer 2021. These recipes are great for entertaining guests at backyard barbecues or bringing to family potlucks this summer, so get ready to get hungry!
Each of these appetizers has a unique ingredient in common: they all feature new Cloud 9® Bite-Sized Fruity Tomatoes. That’s not a coincidence. These super sweet tomatoes are the tomato for this summer. Why? Every bite offers a refreshing blast of sweetness that can’t help but make you smile. They’re a simple, elegant ingredient that makes life’s sweetest moments even sweeter – and this summer is going to be pretty sweet!
Our Favorite Fresh Appetizers for Summer 2021
- First up is a summer backyard barbecue classic in the Southern United States: Tomato Cornbread Salad. We’re talking layers upon layers of flavor here with extra summery sweetness thanks to those Cloud 9® Tomatoes. This is must-have at any summer get together. If you bring it to a potluck, you’ll be the talk of the town all season long!
- Next is a savory and sweet cold soup made for the hottest days of the year: Fresh Tomato Gazpacho. If you’ve never had fresh homemade gazpacho on a summer evening right before the main course, you’re missing out on a seriously refreshing Spanish tradition! And even if you have had gazpacho before, we promise you’ve never had one like this. The sweetness is a Tiny Taste of Heaven™.
- Sweet Balsamic Roasted Tomatoes is a tasty appetizer that can double as a side with BBQ chicken wings, smoked ribs or Grilled Chicken Skewers. The best part? You can prepare this a day in advance without losing any flavor or you could even cook it on the barbecue in a grill pan, cast iron skillet or foil bag!
- If you really want to impress your summer dinner guests with minimal prep time or effort – kick back and enjoy the sunshine, you deserve it! – you’re going to love this recipe for Roasted Tomatoes and Burrata Toast. This is the kind of recipe that lets the ingredients speak for themselves: creamy burrata cheese with fresh thyme and Cloud 9® Tomatoes. It’s elegant, it’s easy and it’s delicious enough to enjoy Every. Single. Day.
- Last but certainly not least on our list of favorite appetizers for this summer is Crab Stuffed Mushrooms, a recipe from Joy Monnerjahn that is guaranteed to make everyone around the table hungry for more.
Let’s talk some more about Joy’s Crab Stuffed Mushrooms recipe. It’s a perfect summer appetizer recipe because it brings together everything you’re looking for –incredible flavor and supreme two-bite snackability.
Make a big batch of these to bring out a couple hours before the main meal at your next party to satisfy all your guests’ cravings!
Start by preheating your oven or grill to 350°F. Over high heat, get your skillet nice and hot and add butter with white onions, celery and one diced Sweet Bell Pepper. Once those ingredients have started to soften you can add green onions, crab meat, Cajun seasoning, lemon juice and breadcrumbs. Mix it all up and remove from heat.
Then, it’s time to stuff the mushrooms with your savory mixture. Be generous and press down to make sure every mushroom is filled as much as possible. Place each on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 25 minutes.
Now for the piece de resistance that adds eye-catching elegance to this summer appetizer: place one Cloud 9® Tomato on the top of every stuffed mushroom and skewer with a toothpick. Cook for another five minutes or so until the tomato is bursting with juice and the top of the mushroom is golden.
Once the Crab Stuffed Mushrooms are done cooking you can remove the toothpicks and serve to your hungry guests immediately. By now, they’ve probably all gathered around you to see the magic happen, smell the deliciousness, and wait not-so-patiently for their first bite.
These recipes are sure to make your Summer 2021 barbecues, parties and reunions memorable. For the full Crab Stuffed Mushrooms recipe from Joy Monnerjahn, click here.
Want to get new recipes delivered right to your inbox? Sign up today for our newsletters.