If you are looking for that perfectly flavorful salad that the whole gang will love – look no further! Our friends at Double the Spoonfuls have come up with a delicious recipe that features greenhouse grown tomatoes that is sure to please.
This pesto gnocchi salad is so bright & colorful! It’s the perfect salad for entertaining and made extra delicious with roasted Azuca Red Cherry Tomatoes!
If you’re looking for a salad that is perfect for entertaining or serving a group of family or friends, then this Pesto Gnocchi Roasted Tomato Salad will certainly do the trick! With a homemade easy basil (and nut-free) pesto, gnocchi, roasted tomatoes, and burrata, this is the best twist on a pasta and caprese salad and is perfect for any occasion. If you’re looking to serve a group, this gnocchi salad also looks so pretty plated and would be a great addition to your next gathering.
If you love the basil, tomato, and burrata trio like us, then this will be your new go-to. The roasted tomatoes in this recipe are also so easy to make and so delicious, thanks to the tomatoes. They are sweet, so red, and roast up so nicely. If you love a cooked tomato like us, then you’ll love how they combine with the pesto gnocchi and burrata, making for the best dinnertime bites!
There are so many reasons why you’ll love this salad but here are the top three:
It’s the perfect entertaining salad. If I’m serving a group, I love to include a filling salad that looks pretty on a big platter and is perfect for serving on to everyone’s individual plates!
It’s an easy-from-scratch recipe. The homemade pesto and roasted tomatoes are two easy additions that add so much flavor-wise to this summery dish.
The flavor combinations are the perfect trio! Between the basil pesto, Pure Flavor®’s perfectly sweet Azuca Red Cherry Tomatoes, and the burrata, I can’t think of a more delightful combination.
Ingredients for the Homemade Basil Pesto –
This recipe starts with a super easy homemade pesto that is nut-free and only requires six ingredients apart from salt and pepper!
- Basil – But of course!
- Parmesan – We love adding some freshly grated Parmesan to our homemade pesto to add some sharpness and saltiness.
- Lemon juice – So great for brightening up the pesto!
- Garlic – Adds the perfect amount of flavor without being overpowering.
- Olive oil – Key to making the smoothest homemade pesto!
This homemade pesto is ready in just two steps and couldn’t be easier.
STEP 1: Process ingredients other than olive oil. Add ingredients apart from olive oil to a food processor and pulse on high until combined and well chopped.
STEP 2: Add olive oil and process until combined. While the food processor is running, drizzle in the olive oil until it is combined with the other ingredients and the pesto is smooth. If needed, scrape down the sides of the food processor with a spatula and briefly pulse again. Remove from the food processor into a bowl and set aside.
Roasted Tomato Salad Ingredients –
Now on to the main event! This gnocchi salad has a simple list of whole ingredients which makes this simple recipe filling, nutritious, and super tasty.
- Azuca Red Cherry Tomatoes – The star in this roasted tomato salad! These red cherry tomatoes are so sweet, have so much flavor, and are the perfect option for roasting.
- Olive oil – The best for tossing with the halved cherry tomatoes and for pan-frying the gnocchi so they’re golden and cooked through.
- Crushed red pepper – I love sprinkling some on the tomatoes but you can leave this out if spice isn’t your favorite.
- Gnocchi – Key in this gnocchi salad, and pan frying them briefly makes them hold up with the other ingredients instead of becoming too starchy or squishy!
- Balsamic vinegar – A little bit adds the perfect amount of acidity to balance out the sweet tomatoes.
- Basil pesto – Some of our freshly made pesto of course! Add as much as you like to the gnocchi.
- Arugula – Adds a little bite and nuttiness to this tossed salad, plus it’s the perfect base if you’re going to be plating this salad.
- Parmesan – Even though there is already parmesan in the pesto, it’s so tasty to toss a bit more freshly grated parm with the gnocchi!
- Burrata – A match made in heaven with the pesto and roasted tomatoes, plus this looks so stunning if you’re entertaining and want to make this salad extra pretty!
- Basil – Some fresh basil on top just makes this summer salad!
See the recipe for quantities.
Step-by-Step Instructions –
This gnocchi salad only has a handful of steps and comes together super quickly once the tomatoes are roasted and the gnocchi are golden!
STEP 1: Roast the tomatoes. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Add halved tomatoes to a rimmed baking sheet and top with 1/8 cup olive oil, kosher salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste. Toss to combine and spread tomatoes out in a single layer. Roast for 15-20 minutes, stirring halfway through, until tomatoes have softened.
STEP 2: Cook the gnocchi. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the remaining 1/8 cup olive oil. Once shimmering, add gnocchi in a single layer. Sauté gnocchi, ensuring they flip, over medium heat until they are golden and soft. Remove from heat to cool.
STEP 3: Toss tomatoes with balsamic. Once tomatoes are roasted, remove them from the oven and drizzle with balsamic, tossing to combine.
STEP 4: Combine gnocchi salad ingredients. Add gnocchi to a large bowl, then top with 1/2 cup of prepared basil pesto, tossing until gnocchi is coated. Spoon half of the roasted tomatoes into the bowl using a slotted spoon (see note), then add the arugula and parmesan, tossing to combine.
STEP 5: Plate gnocchi salad. Add additional arugula to the bottom of a large platter, then spoon gnocchi salad onto the platter. Top with the other half of the roasted tomatoes, then the burrata, fresh basil, and additional halved cherry tomatoes if desired.
The homemade pesto and roasted tomatoes make this from-scratch salad extra tasty, so we definitely recommend these easy steps! We love using the Pure Flavor® Azuca Red Cherry Tomatoes because they have the best sweet flavor, and they roast up so nicely in the oven. Also, toasting the gnocchi instead of boiling them creates the most delicious crispy exterior which also holds up so well in this tossed salad, so we recommend giving that a try!
~ Jackie & Samantha