- For the maque choux:
- 1 Pure Flavor® Red Sweet Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Pure Flavor® Orange Sweet Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Pure Flavor® Yellow Sweet Bell Pepper, diced
- 4 cups sweet corn
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sweet onion, minced
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 large jalapeño, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- Green onions, chopped (for garnish)
- Parsley, minced (for garnish)
- For the Cajun Shrimp:
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp Cajun or blackening seasoning
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ - ½ tsp cayenne pepper
Marinate shrimp in olive oil and spices, then refrigerate while you prepare the maque choux.
In a pan over medium-low heat, melt butter and add diced onion. Cook 3 to 5 minutes until translucent. Add garlic and allow to cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add bay leaf, peppers, corn, jalapeño and Cajun seasoning. Stir to combine and cook 4 to 5 minutes.
Dissolve the chicken bouillon in half a cup of water and add to the mixture in the pan. Cook to reduce the water added by half and then add in the heavy cream. Stir to combine and cook for about 5 minutes to warm through, then fold in the bacon.
While the maque choux is finishing cooking, place a pan over medium high heat and cook shrimp until opaque. Place shrimp over the maque choux, then top with green onion and minced parsley.